9.30.2011

Where I'm From

A few weeks ago, Mama Kat @ Mama's Losin' It  posted this template as one of her weekly writing prompts. The exercise originates from a poem by George Ella Lyon and you may have seen others doing this as well.  It was a really fun exercise to do and brought to mind some wonderful memories of growing up. I may do another version soon using more recent references - everything below is drawn from my childhood.

Where I'm From
I am from the Fountain City Duck Pond, from RC Cola and Moon Pies.

    I am from Dogwood Trails and the Smoky Mountains.

I am from the house at the bottom of the hill, from wood paneling, leather “farty” couches, unfiltered Camels and Old Spice.

I am from homemade pickles and “puttin’ up beans”, strong but small women, from Karen and Lily Mae and Sandy Gaye.
I am from watching Grandpa play solitaire for hours after dinner was cleared, he always let me chime in when I saw a move. The dishwasher being used to store cookies and other sweets and never being used to wash dishes – dishes should be washed by hand.
From “don’t you sass me”, "go get me a switch", and “people in hell want ice water”.
From Saturdays spent in head to toe orange, bonfires, tailgating, and singing Rocky Top so many times you lose your voice. I am from “I Bleed Orange”,”Orange You a Vol?” and “Touchdooooooown Tennesseeeeeee”!
I'm from the valley, the rolling hills, and the desert. From Smoky Mtn. Market hot dogs, fried potatoes, and pinto beans & cornbread.
From my aunts big red prom dress that I was always in awe of (she looked like a red cupcake),the time my mom almost sliced her arm off shucking corn, and who could forget when I rolled out the side of the camper when I was just a few months old.
I am from quilts, afghans, and embroidered pillowcases in hope chests, albums upon albums of baby pictures, and who knows what all's hidden up in Grandma's attic.


Photobucket
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...